Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: My dd...an enabler! *UPDATE* (in 1st post)

  1. #11
    Inactive Member jaydon724's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2004
    Posts
    644
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL, that is too cute. Sounds like Kit may be in J's future!

  2. #12
    Inactive Member trvnbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    440
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    BUMP...Update in 1st post. [img]cool.gif[/img]

  3. #13
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's really cute! You have created an AG enabler, lol! [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    *AG Star*
    Guest *AG Star*'s Avatar

    Post

    I remember when I was in first grade some of our friends who lived in another town had been given AG dolls, and I got the catalog because I got AG magazine. I asked my mom if I could get them, and then she said, "No, they're too expensive." Then some of my parents friends to.d my mom that they were really great, and I ended up with Felicity for Christmas!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member lj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    198
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a very good point Colette. I was going to say something to that effect. That kind of situation can really be hurtful to a child. Even now, people critisize me for selling off some of my collection but honestly, it's the only way I can make ends meet sometimes. It's hard to remember that we all come from different economic backgrounds.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 07, 2006 01:24 AM: Message edited by: LaceyJane ]</font>

  6. #16
    thepidget
    Guest thepidget's Avatar

    Post

    Colette, you do make an excellent point.

    I think I sort of lucked out while growing up--I didn't have any AG's, but neither did any of my girl friends, so I never felt "excluded" in that respect.

    However, when I was 15, I babysat for a girl who was 6, and I remember she had three AG's plus some of their furniture. I was so shocked back then. At that time I couldn't imagine shelling out $80+ just for a doll, but here was a girl with three! It did make me feel a little bad (and jealous).

    I know AG's are wonderful as well as educational, but they're not something that every family can afford. I am really happy that I have AG's now, but I still view them as a luxury. I haven't even told all my friends about my dolls because I'm afraid they'll think of them as a wasteful extravagance. [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member trvnbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    440
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, you do make a valid point about families & their ability to afford AG. Just wanted to say that I would never encourage AG dolls in a family that could not afford it. I would still highly recommend the books. The little girl is the youngest of two kids (only dd) and both parents work (psychologist and an RN), nice home w/ a recent addition/remodel, pool, etc. This is the only child I invited to dd's party that does not own AG...I had posted at another time about this & how it might make her feel. She is a very fun loving, independent child & only has "knock-off" dolls because she doesn't know much about AG & has never asked for one. My dd does not judge whether or not you love AG by what you own, but at this point in time they are her passion. She loves to talk about them, but does not tell her friends that they should have/get any of the items...just that SHE wants them. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    I am truly sorry to hear that some of you have painful memories surrounding AG. [img]frown.gif[/img] It is very sad to know that some little girl's dreams never do come true. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    Bren [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member AGMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2004
    Posts
    205
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's good that we can all see both sides of the coin on this one. I grew up with four siblings, and though my dad earned a good living, there's no way I would've had more than one doll and maybe one outfit.

    Saralovesherdollies, that was SO CRUEL of your classmate to say such a thing! [img]mad.gif[/img] Some kids can be so mean! You're obviously much more compassionate than she'll ever be. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Bbbren's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2003
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last weekend i took my two neices to AGPLA and had lunch at the cafe. Since I was not blessed with children of my own I have more expendable income than some and can treat my nieces to AG dolls, furniture and outfits on occassion. My 9 year old niece would not have any AG items if this were not the case because her mom finds them impractical and she is a single mother.

    At any rate while we were having lunch at the cafe a birthday party was going on. Most of the little girls had brought there AG dolls with them with the excception of one little girl with a non ag doll. My niece makes the comment (well out of the range of the party table) that the girl brought a non ag doll. The way she said it was not mean but rather surprised. I was still taken back by the comment because I guess I assumed the girls knew they were fortunate to be able to have the dolls not surprised that others may not have even one. I explained that these dolls are very expensive and would imagine most girls would never be fortunate enough to have even one and that what someone has is not a measure of there worth.

    Brenda

  10. #20
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was 11, I had a friend who had a doll and her entire collection. So did most of our friends. Her mom knew how badly I wanted one, so she talked to my parents about it. My parents bought me the books; they had a rule to never say no if we asked for a book (as long as the book was appropriate).

    However, they wouldn't buy me a doll. They couldn't afford one. My parents felt if they gave in to get me the doll, inevitably I would also want other outfits, accessories, etc- because my friends had them.

    It ended up being very painful. My friend's mom, who in retrospect, was just probably just being nice, had an AG birthday for her daughter. Everyone had a doll but me. I never did get one, not until college, but the memory of feeling excluded stuck with me.

    I don't think that's what anyone on this board is trying to do- and I think it's amazing that board members have made AGs possible for girls like myself- whose parents couldn't afford them. I suppose I just want to remind our community that, as much as we want to share our love of AG with others, sometimes, it just isn't possible and can be very hurtful to girls who can't keep up with the Joneses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •